“I cannot think of a more effective strategy to get to the lifestyle I want. Co- housing is truly the best of all options for me!”
“I am intrigued by the possibilities of co- housing … because it appears to be a good way to address issues like social isolation and aging in place.”
“I am strongly committed to cohousing as a wise housing choice from many perspectives.”
“We look forward to the neighbourliness of intentional community in Cohousing Hamilton.”
“I am excited about our cohousing venture and look forward to getting to know Hamilton better.”
“We are building a new community: people at first and then an exciting new way of living both together and privately.”
Welcome to Cohousing Hamilton
An exciting initiative in community living, cohousing is a global groundswell with many communities already established in Canada and many more under development. Ontario has several cohousing communities with many new ones evolving.
Hamilton is a great place to build a cohousing community. The city has so much to offer:
- Arts and culture
- Municipal services
- An abundance of nature and green space.
What is cohousing?
- It is a form of intentional community – people actively create a neighbourhood
- Combines the autonomy of privately owned, individual homes with the advantages of shared resources.
- Co-developed, co-designed and managed by the residents
- Includes common spaces that are supported by the owners, and might include:
- a large common house for shared meals and activities
- guest suite(s)
- a workshop
- yoga/exercise room
- conservatory or lounge.
What kind of buildings?
All homes are close to the common house – the hub of the community. Owners decide what style of homes will be included and can vary within the project to include any of:
- Low-rise apartment buildings
- Semi-detached or Townhomes
- Garden suites
- Cohousing tends to minimize the footprint of each home.
- Owners tend to focus on environmentally friendly choices, incorporating sustainability in design and functionality.